Today Laphroag announces the United States release of its Càirdeas 2021 PX Edition, Pedro Ximenez Cask. Each year, a limited-edition bottling from the Càirdeas series is crafted by John Campbell, the Laphroaig Distillery Manager, to celebrate Friends of Laphroaig, which he started in 1994 for friends, fans and followers to join from all over the world. Càirdeas means friendship, and the annual release of the Càirdeas series has become a collectable among Laphroaig’s most loyal friends and rewards their allegiance. This year, the release was announced internationally on Laphroaig Day during its second ever virtual iteration of Fèis Ìle Festival this summer.
About 2021 Càirdeas Pedro Ximenez Cask
- The 2021 Càirdeas edition is tripled matured first in American Oak ex-Bourbon Barrels, then Quarter Casks, and finally in European Oak Hogsheads containing PX sherry. Each cask combines to create a complex expression full of character, bottled at cask strength to ensure the rich and intricate flavours come through on this distinct and unique expression.
- Shining a bright tawny colour, the Càirdeas 2021 edition has a smoky, peaty, yet sweet and fruity flavour, with hints of grilled bacon, manuka honey and oak spices. The whisky is completed with nutty notes, combined with an intriguing blend of candy floss, toffee and cinnamon on the nose and a hot, spicy, and salty finish.
- 3,500 9L cases of Laphroaig Càirdeas 2021 total have been produced and made available for purchase on Laphroaig.com and in US stores for a suggested retail price of $99.
- Cask Details: Triple Matured – Ex-Bourbon Barrel followed by Quarter Casks followed by European Oak Pedro Ximenes Hogsheads.
- Nose: Medicinal, nutty, and sweet with notes of pine tar, strong almond and marzipan, hazelnut and praline character combined with candyfloss, stewed apple, and toffee but also cherries, gooseberries and cinnamon.
- Taste: Smoky and peaty with slightly ashy notes of cured ham and grilled bacon but also sweet and fruity flavors of Manuka honey, liquorice roots, but also cooked apples, malt and oak spices edging toward pencil shavings.
- Finish: Still hot and spicy, with a touch of sea salt and dried seaweed.
- Serving Suggestion: Neat with a few drops of water.